With the popularity of compact track loaders (CTLs) on the rise, many people think that the age of the skid steer is coming to a close.
Not so, according to a report on equipmentworld.com. In fact, skid steer sales aren’t just holding steady, but they are increasing ever so slightly. While there has been a shift in sales toward CTLs, it’s mostly likely due to the fact that they are relatively new, and their popularity is almost entirely based in North America.
Here are a few reasons why skid steers won’t be going anywhere anytime soon:
- Faster – skid steers are typically 2-5mph faster than CTLs
- Better for use on hard surfaces
- More comfortable for operators on rough terrain
- Better for snow removal
- Higher degree of maneuverability
- Cost 5-10% less to use and maintain
Skid steer sales are beginning to normalize, and while CTLs may have put a momentary dent in their market, they’re most likely here to stay.